Sunday, May 1, 2016

The Marilyn

       The MaMA had built a nice fire which filled the room with a comforting warmth. My blanket was set in front of the fireplace and I had no problem falling asleep. Especially since that long hike around the perimeter. 
      I woke up from my nap before Schnapps. She was laying on the couch across from the fireplace.
"You must have had an adventurous morning," said the MaMA, putting down the paper she was reading. "You were barking and running in your sleep." 
      I had to admit that I've never had dreams so vivid and exciting. They were filled with horses, dancing cats in the wood pile, and a mysterious Dastinkter, which I secretly hoped I never met in real life. 
       Schnapps continued to snore next to the MaMA. She was as loud as the General, maybe even louder.
      I went to the couch and raised myself to check on her. She, too, was talking and running in her sleep, but her dreams sounded more terrifying than mine.
     "No, Sassy," she muttered. "Don't go near dere, it's not safe!"
     "You better occupy yourself, she'll be out for a while," said MaMA. I lowered myself, and went to my toy basket. I was full of puppy energy, and I didn't want to waste any of it waiting for an old dog to wake up.
     There were new items in the basket. I gave MaMA a questioning look.
     "I found some old things, I thought you might have fun with them," she said as she came towards the basket and knelt down. She pulled out a blonde hairy thing and held it up by a stray lock. "This is a wig," she explained with a wink. "You know, for when you want to go undercover."
     She put it on me then laughed. "Why if it isn't Marilyn Monroe! 
     The wig covered my whole body, pale strands fell down around my eyes and snout.
     "You are gorgeous. Here let me show you," she said as she picked me up and took me to a nearby mirror. "Do you like it?" 
     I gazed at my reflection,  the blonde curls cascaded over my brown fur. I thought it made me look sophisticated, suave, and beautiful. I looked at the MaMA and her bemused face. I licked her cheek. 
     "Oh yes, I do like it." I immediately thought of all the situations I could use the wig. Perhaps, I could infiltrate the Wood Pile or set up a sting operation to catch the Dastinkter. MaMA set me down and I went to show Schnapps my brilliant disguise.

     "Vat are you wearing," she asked when she saw me. I tried walking like Meowjolina, crossing my paws in front of each other, which made my body sway from side to side.
     "It's a Marilyn Monroe, MaMA gave it to me. Don't I look lovely?" 

     "I think you look like a joke."
     I tossed my head to the side to swish the wig, but it went the opposite direction and blinded me. I took a wrong step, got tangled in the golden locks, and tripped myself up. I fell with a loud thud, face first, on the unforgiving floor.
     "Ouf."
     "Are you all right,” Schnapps asked with concern.
     I peaked out from under the wig. "I thick I bith my tongue."
     "I'm sure dat won't interfere with your duties," Schnapps said, jumping down from the couch.       "Let's go on our afternoon rounds." 
     "Okay," I grabbed the wig and followed her to the door.
     "Leave dat thing here," she demanded.
     "Aw, man." I dropped the wig and the MaMA let us out. 
     The sun was out, and though the air was still brisk, it seemed warmer than before.
     Schnapps and I got on the trail and climbed the hill. I kept my nose to the ground, gathering intel by scent. Charles wasn't at the top of the hill to greet us this time, but in his place stood a long haired black and white dog. Schnapps picked up her pace and left me to inspect a suspicious hole in the ground. I found no danger and ran to catch up with Schnapps and the mystery dog. As I approached, I caught bits and pieces of their conversation. 
     "The Sweater wants to see you," said the black and white dog. 
     "It's too soon, she's not ready yet," Schnapps said. "You'll haf to tell him to be patient."
     "He won't like hearing that." 
     "Well, dat's his problem."
     The stranger nodded towards me, "I'll talk to you later."
     "Who was that," I asked Schnapps as we both watched the other dog walk across her territory. "Who is the sweater?"
     “Dat is nothing for you to worry about now," said Schnapps as she turned back onto the trail and headed to the shed. "Do you want to grab a rope and play a little tug?"
     "Do I ever!” It had been awhile since I got to play tug. Okay, it had only been a day, but it seemed like forever.
     "Why don't you go grab one? I'll keep watch out here."
     I dove down into the secret rope stash. "Which one should I grab?"
     "You're choice," Schnapps called down after me. “Dey are all good ropes."
     I went to the corner and picked out one with three knots in it and drug it back out with me.
     "Ah, dat is one of my favorites," Schnapps said, admiring my choice.
     I held fast to my end while Schnapps took the other and quickly tugged at it. She was strong for being such and old dog, but I kept my grip and shifted my weight to my back end. Schnapps shook, pulled and tugged, but I pulled back with all my might and stayed put.
     "You are very strong, little von," she said with the rope still in her mouth.
     "Thank you," I said, but in my moment of annunciation, she whipped the rope out of my mouth and ran.
     I took chase, and we ran around the home base. I caught hold of one end and the fight continued.       We ran together ducking and weaving, the rope tethered between us, stopping only for a tense, unyielding stand off.
     "You've got some skills," I said through my teeth, careful not to let the rope loose this time. I've never had such a rambunctious game of tug. Schnapps was a serious opponent. My body tingled with invigorated energy.
      Schnapps chuckled through her grip. "You've been vell trained. And you are surprisingly strong for a pup so young. Once you've grown, you will be formidable."
I yanked with all my strength and pulled Schnapps forward a step. She shook her end, which sent vibrations down the rope and tickled my teeth.
     "Ha, nice try," I taunted. "You won't be able shake it out of my mouth this time."
     Schnapps glanced over my head, then back at me. She dropped the rope and puffed herself up.
     "Are you giving up so easily," I egged her on. Then I sensed another presence looming over my head. I looked up and the rope fell from my gaping mouth.
     Above me stood a huge yellow dog. In his mouth he held an equally large stick. It was more like a whole tree, it was so big.
     I shuffled from out under the behemoth, for fear of him dropping the log and squishing me.
     "Wha-what are you," I exclaimed.
     "Hello, Baylor," Schnapps said to the yellow dog.
     "Hi Schnapps," Baylor said. "Your human isn't around is she? I've been ordered to take her out, uh...I mean give her this uhm...firewood. Yeah, firewood."
     "What do you mean take her out," I asked. Baylor looked from side to side, then down at me. His eyes got big, as though he hadn't noticed me before. He dropped the log, barely missing me by a few hairs. I yipped and stood beside Schnapps. Okay, it was behind Schnapps, but dang that tree almost did me in.
     "Who are you," Baylor asked.
     “This is Fritter, my new partner," Schnapps said, still in her protective stance. I marveled at how brave she was. Baylor was ten times her size and yet she stood her ground. "You can take your stick and go home. You are not going to take out anyone today. She is still mad at you for de last time you tried."
     "Why do you have to be so mean, Schnapps? I just want to do my job. You know how Cubby gets when I don't complete my tasks," he whined. He looked down at his stick then at us with a sorrowful face. "C'mon, just let me take one whack at her good knee. I promise not to hit her hard. Just enough for me to report that I did it. I don't have to do it well."
     "Like I said," Schnapps reprimanded him. "She's not going to let you do it, so you might as well go home."
     Just then the door opened and the MaMA came out onto the porch. 
     "Baylor, go home” she shouted.  
     Baylor stood and wagged his tail in excitement. He picked up his weapon and approached the porch. I started toward the porch, but Schnapps shot me a look that read "stand down." I worried for the MaMA, weren't we supposed to protect her from such a situation as this? We had an obvious suspect that wished her harm. We knew his intent, and he was holding a weapon of wooden destruction. Was Schnapps testing me again? Was I to override her orders and stop Baylor? And if I was, how was I to stop such a ginormous animal?
     "No, Baylor," MaMA said, pointing away from the porch. "I said go home."
     Baylor stopped his advance. His tail and head dropped.
     "Go on, shoo!"
     Baylor turned away and started down the hill. "Aw man, Cubby is going to chew my hide," I heard him mutter as he left.
     I looked back at MaMA. She, too, was brave and strong willed, like Schnapps. I wondered why she needed us at all. She was very capable of taking care of herself.
MaMA's attention was no longer on us or Baylor, but she was looking out into the distance. A loud rumble came up the private road. I followed her gaze and saw a beat up, rusted out truck barreling up the road.
     "That lunatic," MaMA said under her breath. "When will he ever learn not to drive so recklessly? Hasn't he hurt enough people?" Her voice cracked, and I got the feeling that she was one of those people the lunatic had hurt. 
     I sought for clarity from Schnapps, but she too was intently watching the truck, a pained expression on her face.
     MaMa called us to return inside. The sun had begun it's decent, and since we had stopped playing, I was getting cold, so I didn't delay. 
     Schnapps trotted in after me. I found my blanket in front of the fireplace and laid down to let it warm my chilled fur. Schnapps went over to the couch, where the MaMA had sat down. She attempted to jump up, but her trajectory was off and she stumbled back to the floor. Then I noticed she held her back leg up, and it was shaking. Was she hurt during our playtime? 
     "Are you injured, Schnapps? I'm sorry if I was too rough on you earlier," I said. "I didn't mean to hurt you."
     She tried jumping onto the couch again, this time landing her spot, but just barely. 
     "I am always in pain, little von. But it has nothing to do wit you." She sat on the MaMA's lap and looked over her shoulder at her.
     "Is it time for your massage appointment, madame," MaMA said in a silly, fancy accent. Schnapps nodded at her and the MaMA began to rub her shoulders, working and kneading down her back, to her hips and back up. 
     Schnapps closed her eyes and lowered her head. She winced when MaMA came upon her hips, but she didn't yip, but rode out the pain by inhaling deeply.
     I went over to the couch and sat in front of them. 

     "What happened to you," I asked.
     "It's an old injury, nearly put me out of commission," Schnapps said between long breaths. "It hurts de most during de vinter. De cold tightens up my wounds."
     I must have looked horrified, because when Schnapps slightly opened her eyes and reassured me that she would be all right.
     "Just promise me dat you vill stay away from dat rancher and his truck." She shut her eyes again. I went back to my blanket and watched them.
     Poor Schnapps. I wondered if her injury and MaMA's sadness were related. It all seemed to stem around the rancher and his truck. What if he was responsible for her partner's untimely end? After all I did hear her shout out in her nightmarish sleep. Right then, I vowed to bring the rancher to justice. And even though I wouldn't be able to heal Schnapps' body, perhaps I could lessen the emotional wounds from which she suffered. I just didn’t know how.

No comments:

Post a Comment