Sunday, April 24, 2016

First Day

     “Ready to go meet de others,” Schnapps asked as she scratched at the door. The MaMA approached and let us out.
     “Show her ropes, Schnapps” MaMA instructed. “Don't go too far, and keep an eye on little Fritter." Schnapps grumbled a mumbled reply as she left. 
     As anxious I was to get orientation training started and over with, first day jitters took a hold of me. I hesitated at the door even though I needed to prove myself and earn my tags. Otherwise I wouldn’t become a permanent member of the team, then what would happen to me. But how many “others” were there. A sudden shiver ran up my spine.
     "Go on little brown dog. Have a good time, stay with Schnapps. Don't go off on your own," MaMA said.
     I went out into the frosty weather, and stood on the small front porch. I scanned the area and was taken back at the vast landscape. Our territory seemed to go on forever, nothing but rolling, snow covered hills as far as I could see.
     I shuddered and realized how small I was in comparison to the world. It was much larger than the training yard I grew up in. My legs quivered and threatened to go out from under me. I sat down and tried to control my breathing.
     Schnapps came up and cocked her head.
     "Is everything all right? Vat is wrong?"
     "This yard..." I said between labored gasps, "It's so huge! Are we responsible for everything? Shouldn't we have backup? We should have a platoon of Puggles for this area, not just two little dogs!"


“Ve are only responsible for a small area," she reassured me. "Come now, ve need to inspect de perimeter. Perhaps you vill calm down ven you see vere our borders lie."
I stood up on still wobbling legs. C'mon Fritter, you are better than this, remember your training. A Puggle is brave. Get out there, the little voice inside me said. You don't argue with the little voice, so I left the porch and followed Schnapps.
There was an established trail which followed a weathered lodgepole fence, that we took. It went straight up to the top of a hill, where Schnapps stood waiting for me.
“This area is know as Cedar Village. From here you can see de other homes, vere other families live.” 
There were four other houses, besides our own, spread apart from each other. A short distance away, I could see a black road, snaking across the landscape.
"It's so open, I can see so far from up here," I said. 
“Dere are also lots of hidden dangers out dere, never take your security for granted."
"Who's your new friend?" A booming voice came from above.
I leapt backwards at the mystery voice. From the corner of my eye, I spotted one of the fence posts move, but it was not like the other fence posts, it had fur. I traced the furry pole to a large brown and white body, a long neck, which ended in ginormous head. 
"Holy crud, are you a deer," I asked the lumpy head as it came closer to me. If this monster was a deer, Schnapps is a better hunter than I thought.
The creature gave Schnapps a sideways glance. "Is this one for real," it asked. 
"She's just green," said Schnapps. Her comment confused me, perhaps her eyesight was going, because I was anything but green.
The creature turned back to me. "I am of the equine persuasion." 
"Huh?"
"He's a horse," Schnapps said to me with a huff. "A hay-burning, fancy, lawn ornament.”
The horse sputtered, his lips waggled and he shook his long mane. “I serve a greater purpose than just eating hay! I am highly educated.” He stomped his huge stone like feet. The ground shook with every footfall.
"You do sound very smart," I said, hoping to diffuse the situation. I didn't want to get squished by the horse's hurt feelings, not on my first day. "And you are so big, and strong."
The horse ceased his tantrum, focused on me, and bowed his head. "Why thank you little dog," he said. "And may I add that you are very keen yourself, I'm sure you will be a great asset to your human."
"Thank you," I said. "My name is Fritter.” 
“And I am Charles Reginold Huntington the Third, Esquire,” he said, bowing his head low to his hooves. “If you are ever in the need for legal representation, or advice, I'm your horse."
Schnapps shook out her fur. “Ve just call him Chuck," she said. “Sometimes Chuck Vagon.”
"Charles," the horse corrected, "I prefer Charles."
“Vatever,” Schnapps said as she turned and continued down the path. “I still have to show de young von de ropes."
"Good luck, Miss Fritter. I look forward to speaking with you more,” Said Charles.  “I hope your tenure is long and prosperous.”
"Thank you, Charles," I said as chased after Schnapps. I had to wonder what happened to Schnapps last partner. Everyone seemed to be wary of her, and the constant well wishes for my longevity twisted in my stomach. Or perhaps it was my gut adjusting to the decadent breakfast, which I may or may not have eaten too quickly.
Schnapps descended the hill and circled around a shed before I lost sight of her. I turned the corner of the small building, but couldn't see her. I raised my nose and took a deep breath, then caught her scent; experience, age, knowledge, regret. I lowered my nose and followed her trail to a hole under the shed. 
"Schnapps? Are you under there?"
"Come on down," her voice echoed from underneath the shed.
I went front first into the depths of the tunnel. It was dark, cool, and moist. It seemed to go on forever, but soon opened up to a small underground room. I caught a whole new collection of scents: Musty, woodsy, rancid, then Schnapps. I spotted her in the corner of the room standing over a cache of shaded items.
"Over here, little von," she said.
"What is this place," I asked.
"It's vere I keep de ropes," she said. "And other treasures." 
I looked over her shoulder and saw different strands of ropes: blue and green, yellow, tattered, knotted. Accompanying the ropes were balls of different sizes, a couple of well chewed bones, and a small, stuffed toy dog.
"Wow, this is quite the collection," I said. "May I?"
"Please." She stepped aside with her chest puffed out, proud of her treasures.
I took a closer sniff. I honed in on Schnapps scent, but also smelled other dogs. Perhaps one of her former partners?
"Did you bring your last partner here?"
Her beard bristled.
"Of course I did," she huffed. "It's vere we keep de ropes."
I decided to change the subject. "I smell another animal, not canine, nor feline."
"Das Stinktier," she said in a hushed tone. "A vile creature dat would like nothing more than to steal my ropes."
I nodded, not knowing what a Dastinkter was, but I didn't want to seem more unknowledgeable. I already mistook a horse for a deer. Perhaps a dastinkter was another word for deer.
“Would you like to do some rope training," Schnapps asked, breaking my train of thought.
"Maybe later," I said, fearing she was testing my dedication to the job. "Have we finished the perimeter check?"
Schnapps narrowed her eyes and gave me a slight grin of approval. "Good. Duty always comes first."
She crawled out the tunnel and I followed, light hearted and more sure of myself. I passed at least one test. How many were there to come?
Once we got out of the underground treasure trove, we resumed on the trail around the back of the outbuilding where the car was parked. I picked up a now familiar scent, something feline, but feminine.
"By now, you've got their scent," Schnapps said with a dismissive sniff.
"More cats?" I paused in place. My first encounter with a cat wasn’t great, I didn’t know if these cats would react the same way.
"Yes, and de worse kind, de feral katen." She slowly approached the edge of the building. “Dey follow their own rules, protected by an alliance between Magic and de B.O.C." 
"Who is the B.O.C?"
Schnapps' raised her ruff and bared her teeth, "He's only known as de Big Orange Cat. He's in charge of de Wood Pile Kitty Club. It's one of de places dey congregate."
On the other side of the wall, I could hear scuffling and mewing.
"It sounds like they are having a party," I said. Schnapps shot me a cold glare over her shoulder.
"If I had my way, I would be rid of dese troublemakers. It's bad enough dat I have to share living quarters with one."
"Why not chase them off, if they are such a nuisance?"
Schnapps peered around the corner, then lowered her voice to just above a whisper. "Because, even though dey are unpredictable and a bane to my existence, dey are a good source of information ven things really go wrong. According to de agreement, dey are to stay within a small radius around de outbuilding. If dey cross the boundries, it is in your jurisdiction to chase dem back." 

Just then a multi-colored, mottled cat slinked around the corner.
"Well, well. Hey there Schnapps. What brings you sniffing around our corner," she asked with a flirtatious purr. "Word is you have a new recruit."
"Not now, Meowjolina," Schnapps said as she pushed by the exotic feline.
The curious cat craned her neck and spotted me. "I've never seen a dog like you before," she said with a sweet voice. "Aren't you a pretty kitty."
"I'm not a kitty," I protested. "I'm a Puggle."
"Now, now, let's not get our tails in a twist. It's just a saying we have around here." Meowjolina sashayed close and circled her tail around my head. "Why don't you come in and we can get to know each other a little better."
"Knock dat off," Schnapps barked, and Meowjolina puffed up and hissed back. "You know dat is against de rules. You stay in your area, and ve look de other way. A dog has no business in de Wood Pile. Let's go, Fritter."
I tiptoed around Meowjolina and followed Schnapps.
"Hey Fritter, if you ever decide to have a little fun, you know where to come. My sister, Meow Ferral, has a couple of small fries that would love to play with you," Meowjolina called after us.
"Ignore her, she just vants you to get into trouble," Schnapps said through her clenched jaw.
Meowjolina didn't seem like a threat, but I decided that I should follow Schnapps' experience and instincts.
We walked down the drive and Schnapps pointed out the rest of the boundries.
"Our routine vill be on a strict timeline," she said. "Breakfast, inspect the perimeter, then morning nap. We'll do some combat training before de afternoon patrol."
We returned to the porch and Schnapps took one last survey of our territory. I scanned the neighborhood as well. The houses were all connected by a car sized paths, which intersected at the bottom of the hill. A gang of dogs gathered there. They appeared to be having a meeting, but paused and looked in our direction.
"Who are they?" I pointed my nose in their direction. "Should we go down there?"
"Not right now," she said as she scratched on the door to signal the MaMA. "You vill meet dem soon enough." 

No comments:

Post a Comment