Sunday, April 3, 2016

Pick Of The Litter


     It seemed like I had just closed my eyes when a cold nose poked at my side. “Number four, wake up.”
     I peered into the sunshine and saw Drill Sargent standing beside the puppy pile. “Don’t disturb the others, I need to talk to you.” 
     She trotted to the other side of the yard. Nervous about what this could be about, I slowly slid from out of the pile. Five, who was on top of me, raised his head. “Where are you going? Its nap time,” he said.
     “Go back to sleep,” I said. I could feel his gaze follow me as I walked away. I looked over my shoulder and waited for his eyes to blink back shut. 
     “Over here, Four,” Sargent whispered from the corner.
     “Yes, ma’am.”
     “Four, you are the top recruit in the litter. I just wanted to let you know how happy I am with your training.”
My heart fluttered. It was rare that Sargent complimented anyone.        “Thank you, Ma’am.”
     “I’ve seen a lot of litters come through here, trained a lot of good dogs. But I have to admit, you are the best I’ve ever had the pleasure to ween. That is why I’m recommending you for the top assignment, the MaMA.”
     “MaMA,” I repeated it slowly. It was the elite assignment of all duties any dog could hope for! “Drill Sargent, are you sure I’m qualified for the MaMA?”
     “It’s a tough assignment, full of long hours and danger, but I think you are up for it. You also will be rewarded with plenty of belly rubs and good food. It’s a good assignment. You are pick of the litter. High Command notified the MaMA that we had a qualified pup for her, and she will be over this afternoon to check you out. I wanted to give you a heads up, you will need to be on your game.”
I was at a loss for words. In my wildest dreams, I never thought I would be chosen for such a revered duty. I wanted to thank the Sargent, for recommending me, for her hard work training us, for everything. But all I could do is sit there and stare at her.
     “You better get your rest, recruit,” Sargent nodded towards my napping litter. “I’m very proud of you,” her voice cracked and she trotted away from me. 

     Nothing like a dropping a bomb like that to keep you awake, and she said she was proud of me! I tossed and turned through my nap time, and got quite the grumbling from my litter mates. 
     “Four, quit your squirming,” Two complained. 
     “I’m sorry,” I explained. Thoughts of the MaMA kept swirling in my brain. The MaMA was coming to see if I was worthy of being part of her team. How could I sleep? I didn’t have to worry for long, because just then, High Command came out onto the porch. I heard her talking to someone.
     “This is where they eat and sleep at night,” the same staff member who fed us said to the unseen visitor. Then they moved out from behind the partition and I got my first look at the MaMA. For a high class agent, she didn’t seem like much, or perhaps she was just working undercover, or she was dressed to blend in. Either way, she looked just like every other human I’ve seen, just like the rest of High Command personnel. However, she had a kind face and a pleasant voice.
     “Are those the parents” she asked as she approached the General and Drill Sargent. They sat together and beamed at the MaMA. 
     “Yes, they have been great parents,” the staff person said. “And over there are the pups.”
     The MaMA turned and gazed in our direction. Her face lit up as she made her way to our pile.
     “Hey, guys. Wake up. We’ve got company,” I barked to rouse the troops. 
     “Who is it?” Three asked.
     “It’s the MaMA,” I told them. “She’s here to pick…one of us.” I didn’t want to automatically say that she was there for me, because in reality, she could pick any one of us. Though I couldn’t imagine her wanting to pick a stinker like Number One, but then she might not want a security expert like me. She might want a Lap Dog, like Number Five. Everyone lifted and craned their necks to get a look at the MaMA.
     “Look at all their wrinkly, little faces,” she exclaimed as she approached. We all got to our feet and cautiously moved forward for her to get a better look.
     “Like I told you over the phone,” the staff member said, “You have pick of the litter.”
     Pick of the litter, that’s what Sargent called me! I pushed my way to the front, so the MaMA could see I was the one she wanted.
     “Gosh, they’re all nice looking puppies,” she said as she knelt down and picked up Number Two.
     No, no no no! Not Two! She had to choose me, but of course everyone in the litter wanted the MaMA assignment, too. Everyone except Five. He stayed at the back of the bunch. He nodded at me and waved me forward.
     “Go,” he called out. “This is the assignment that you were born to have.”
     Two was botching up his first impression. He squirmed so much in the MaMA’s hands that she had no other choice than to put him down. He ran off like an idiot, not knowing what a great opportunity he was wasting. Perhaps, secretly he wanted to get a Lap Dog assignment as well. 
     The others in the litter milled around the MaMA as I fought my way through them. That’s when I saw her, One and her big butt. She was trying to take my spot, and there was no way I was going to let that happen! I turned on my super speed and ran to the MaMA, but One and her enormous behind blocked my path. 
     “Move it, One. This is my assignment,” I growled.
     “Oh, yeah. Not if I can help it.” She bared her teeth and swished her butt back and forth. 
     I whipped my own rear around and knocked her off her feet. She went down with an “Ooof,” and rolled to the side. I jumped up and over One and her sizable tochus, and landed in the MaMA’s lap.
     “Oh, my,” she gasped. “She’s a lively one.”
     “That’s Number Four,” said the staff lady. “She is quite the adventurous pup.”
     “Number Four?” MaMA looked down at me and smiled. 
     “She was fourth born,” the staff lady explained, “We don’t give them names here. Makes it easier, and leaves the naming up to the new owners.”
     I climbed up further onto MaMA’s lap and stood up on my hind legs. She looked into my eyes and leaned in so close that we were almost touching noses. 
     “Are you the one I should take home,” she asked. I cocked my head then risked a small lick on her cheek to seal the deal. She laughed as I climbed up further into her arms and deployed the ultimate closing maneuver. I rested my head on her shoulder and looked at her putting all my wants and desires into an intense soulful gaze. “I guess that’s a yes.”
     “Great, let’s go inside and do the paperwork,” said the staff lady as she stood and brushed off her legs.
I buried my nose into MaMA’s neck. She smelled like warmth, happiness, and love. She smelled like home.
     She stood and followed the staff member back into High Command. I looked over MaMA’s shoulder at my litter.
     “Bye, Four,” they barked. “Good luck.” Even One forgot her grudge and yipped with excitement.
     “Bye everyone, hope you get your assignments soon, as well.” 
Number Five ran after us. “Good bye, Four. I’ll never forget you!”

     “I hope you enjoy being a Lap dog, Five. Always remember that you’re a good dog.” Five sat down, tossed back his head and howled his final goodbye, soon the others joined in. I turned my face because I didn’t want them to see me cry. As I did, I caught the General and Drill Sargent watching me go. The General gave me one of his big puggy smiles and a wink. Drill Sargent puffed out her chest and raised her nose in one last final salute to her favorite recruit.

No comments:

Post a Comment