Sunday, April 17, 2016

De Others

     I woke in the middle of the night, and as I like before, I was disoriented and unclear of my surroundings. The MaMA had requisitioned a bed for me, a squishy one with dark brown fake fur and a small divot in the center. It was almost like sleeping in the pile back at PUP camp. Almost. It lacked the warmth of my brethren, the undulating movement of their breathing, and the occasional wafting reminder of what we had eaten that day. 
     Anxious, I began to fret and whine.
     "Oh, Fritter," I heard a groan from the larger bed beside mine. "Do you need to go out?"
     I hadn't thought of it before, but I could use the facilities.
     I whimpered some more and the MaMA got out of bed and got dressed. She picked me up and placed me inside of her coat. From in there, I took in her scent once again. She was deliciously warm smelling. Spice, wood, and floral all at once. I had been getting to know her and her scent all night. She was nice, for a human, though I really didn't know what to expect, having such little interaction with humans before today.
     She had presented to me a basket of toys. Balls, chewy rubber bones, but my favorite had to be the furry ones that go squeak. Schnapps had watched us play with passive interest, and periodically snoozed on the couch.
     I was placed on the ground outside and was shocked at how cold it was. Schnapps was suddenly by my side, looking off into the distance, and sniffing the air.
     “Dey are out dere," she said. "And dey are watching."
     "Who,” I asked.
     “De others. Dey are keeping an eye on you."
     "C'mon, Fritter," MaMA complained as she shivered and jumped up and down in place. "I want to go back to bed."
     "Better take care of business, little von."
     I wasn't sure I wanted to go, now that there were things watching me. But my bladder out ruled my concerns of being exposed. Soon I was back in my bed, mashing down the fluff to make things more comfortable.
     Schnapps' words took hold in my imagination, every time I shut my eyes, I became suddenly aware of pairs of eyes watching me. Their shadowy figures loomed over my bed. I'd wake, readjust my bed and position, and try again to no avail. I must have been making a racket, because soon the MaMA stood over me.
     "Are you having troubles, little brown dog?"
     She picked me up and brought me to her giant bed. It was much nicer than mine, with room to spread out. Plus it had the MaMA's nice scent.
     "This is just for tonight," she said with a stern voice.
     I curled up behind her crooked knee and sighed, reveling in the warmth and comfort. Well, we'll see about that. 

     I had the best sleep I've ever had. I don't know how I ended up sprawled across the MaMA's face, but that's where I woke up. I like to think it was some kind of inner protective instinct, that I automatically shifted during the night and gravitated to higher ground to better secure the perimeter. 
     "Mmmph, Friffer. Your buff is on my fafe," MaMA mumbled. She carefully relieved me from my vantage point, and took me outside.
     The sun shone over the icy winter-scape, and the snow sparkled and glittered in its light. I was set down on an icy patch, and I sniffed for a good place to relieve myself. I was then reminded of Schnapps warning from the night before. I, too, had the distinct feeling that I was being watched. 
     I scanned the horizon, yet saw no one, except Schnapps, who was trotting towards me with her usual efficient clip. However, her back leg seemed to be out of step with the rest of her feet. A slight limp I hadn't noticed before. 
     "Good morning, Schnapps," I greeted her. "Did you sleep well?"
     "As vell as can be expected," she said with a grumble. "Are you ready for your training?"
     "Yes," I said, but was interrupted by my loud stomach.
     "First, ve vill haf de breakfast, yes," she said. I followed her and the MaMA back inside. I was airlifted up the stairs, and set down in the kitchen, while MaMA fixed our food.
     "May I ask you a personal question?" If I was to be partnered with Schnapps, I thought it only best to know everything about her.
     "You may speak freely," she said with a bow of her head.
     "What breed of dog are you? I haven't known a lot of other breeds except for my parents and some of the neighbor dogs. One of our neighbors was a German Shepard. He spoke with the same accent as you do, but you look nothing like him."
     "You are very keen," she said giving me a look of approval. "I am a Schnauzer, a proud, German race, bred for hunting."
     I know hunting breeds. Beagles were bred for hunting foxes, and surely that German Shepard I knew hunted bigger animals. But I had a hard time believing that Schnapps, a dog no bigger than myself, could be a good hunter. And I'm not even full grown. 
     "Excuse me, Schnapps. But aren't you a bit small to be a hunter?" 
     "What good is de size, ven de rabbit goes down de hole? It takes more than size to be a hunter, you haf to be quick, you haf to be smart," she barked. "And I vill haf you know, I once took down a mighty deer once."
     "Oh," I said, impressed with her resume. "What's a deer?"
     "You vill find out," she assured me.
     I wanted to ask her more, but breakfast was served. MaMA placed before us bowls of chopped meat, rice, vegetables and gravy. Never in my life had I been treated to such delicacies.
I dove in, smacking and relishing every mouthful. After I swallowed one bite, I immediately craved another, and another. 
     Soon all the food in the dish was gone. So I did what any respectable Puggle might do, and licked every drop of gravy clean. The bowl tried to escape my attempts, and I ended up chasing it across the floor. 
     Enough of this. I put my foot down in the middle of the bowl and licked around it. That prevented the constant movement, and allowed me to properly clean the dish. After the inside was all licked out, I flipped the dish with my nose and inspected the other side. After I was done, I sat and eyed Schnapps' bowl. Either she wasn't as hungry as I was, or she was terrible at cleaning up. She stood over her bowl staring at me in disbelief. Gravy dripped off of her wiry, grey whiskers.
     "Are you going to finish your gravy," I asked.
     Schnapps gaped at me.
     “Vat?"
     "Wow," MaMA said. "I'm going to have to watch what I feed you. Don't want you to get chubby."
     I thought of Number One and her big behind. She was always the first one to the chow line, and her weight showed it. I would also have to be mindful about how much I ate. However, that gravy was to die for, and I wanted nothing more than to lick the drippings off of Schnapps' beard.
     "Quit looking at me like I'm your next meal," she growled then lowered her head to lick her bowl.
     "Good Morning, Good Morning," a high-pitched voice chirped. 
     "What was that," I asked.
     "Oh, dat is just Sunshine," Schnapps said nodding to the other room. "He's just Admin. Go ahead and say hello."
     I tore myself away from the gravy worshiping and went into the next room. I didn't get to fully inspect it last night, so I was happy to be able to gather more intel and explore the Home base more.
The wall between the kitchen and the next room was made of red brick. On this side, it had a fireplace and a low hearth. On the hearth sat a cage. On the highest perch in the cage sat a grey bird with a yellow head and bright orange cheeks.
     "Good Morning, good morning," he peeped.
     "Hello," I said. "My name is Fritter."
     "I know, you are the new partner for Schnapps, and you are a little brown dog, and you like to eat, and you like the squeaky toys, and..." The bird talked a mile a minute. I wondered how he breathed.
     "And your name is Sunshine? That's a lovely name," I said, desperate to get a word in.
     "Yes! Yes, my name is Sunshine. I'm a pretty bird. I take care of all the assignments, paperwork, gossip, communications, requisitions. I'm a pretty bird."
     Oh, my. This bird was cuckoo.
     "Did you say gossip,” I asked him.
     Sunshine ceased his chittering and gave me a sideways look. 
     "Did I?"
     "Yes," I said. "It was between paperwork and communications." Sunshine grabbed the side of the cage with his beak and slid down to the bottom of the cage. He moved to the corner and peeked over the edge.
     "Psst...come closer," he whispered.
I stood on my hind legs so that I could get closer to the cage. I lowered my ear to where his beak was.
     "I know everything about everyone around here," Sunshine said in a hushed tone. "If you need intel on what's really going down, you know who to ask."
     "Yeah?"
     "You want the dirt on anyone, just say the word," he squatted down in his cage, casting paranoid glances around the room. "Like how your partner got her limp?"
     "You can tell me?"
     "Yeah, come...closer."
     I leaned in as he instructed.
     "Just like that, closer, closer," Sunshine urged.
     I pressed my ear against the bars, I couldn't get any closer if I wanted to, unless I got in there with him. Suddenly, a piercing pain took hold of me, or in this case, a bird beak and my ear. I yelped and yanked my ear away from the cage. Sunshine's head rammed against the bars and he let go of my ear.
     A volley of cackling laughter came from above us. I looked up and saw the black cat from the night before, rolling on a second set of stairs above the fireplace.
     "What are you laughing at? That hurt," I said then cast an accusing glare at the double crossing bird. "And what was that, Sunshine? Are you mental or something?"
     "I'm a pretty bird," he said as he climbed back up to his high perch.
     "Ha, ha." The cat continued to laugh. "You stupid dog."
     My face pinched and all my wrinkles furrowed. No one had ever called me stupid before, and I didn't like it. I decided to take the higher road and ignore his insult.
     "I'm sorry, I never got to introduce myself last night. My name is..."
     "I know who you are." The black cat arched his back then pulled his body forward into a long stretch before taking slow measured steps down the stairs. "I just don't know what you are." 

     "I'm a Puggle," I said, puffing out my chest in proud Puggle fashion.
     "What's a Puggle?"
      I cleared my voice to recite our motto. "A Puggle is loyal and brave..."
     The cat stared at me with his nose down and his ears back. "All I know is that you are short on snout and big on ears. And what is up with that silly tail. Why does it curl like that?" 

I looked back at my tail. Never in my lifetime did I think it silly. I always found it expressive. It would curl tight if I was anxious, almost a perfect curve of curiosity, and straighten out flat when I was relaxed. I turned back to the cat, who was licking his paws, then rubbed his face.
     "Well, you have a pointy face," I said.
     "Ooo, is that the best you can do," he mocked.
     Schnapps came around the corner, "Vat is going on here?"
     "I see you have a new little partner to train, eh Schnapps," the cat padded past Schnapps, running his tail around her snout. She snarled at his taunting.
     "Let's hope she lasts longer than your previous protege."
     Schnapps snapped at the cat’s tail, but he was too quick and sauntered out of the room, laughing under his breath.
     "What's his deal," I asked coming up to Schnapps' side.
     “Dat is Magic," she said. "His heart is as dark as his fur is black. Don’t vaste your time talking wit him.”
     "I've never had experience with a cat before, are they all like him?"
     "Let me give you a vord of advice, young von. Dere is no such thing as a good cat." Schnapps turned and headed to the door. "Are you ready for your first day?"
     "Yes," I said, cheered by the thought of adventure. 

No comments:

Post a Comment